Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scarlets 17 - 16 Connacht. Same old story

Hi everyone,

This is my first, of hopefully many many posts about Connacht Rugby. I've been following them for years, but only in 2006, did I go to my first game. I go to as many home games as possible each season, and try to get to at least one "proper" away game a season. I've been to Cardiff already this season. Anyway, enough shite about me. I'll update this blog as often as possible, and you can follow me on Twitter as well @ConnachtCows, so you'll know when the blog is updated.


Right onto tonight. We travelled to Newport this evening, to play the Welsh equivilent of ourselves. We'd beaten them soundly in the first game of the season, but bar the Glawgow game away, and Ulster at home to a certain extent, our season has gone down hill since then.


We had a great start to the game, winning our own kick-off, and played some exciting stuff, for the first 90 seconds, and then, BOOM, we were 7-0 down, to a lovely break from The Scarlets. We probably should have been down 13-0 before we got on the board. Scarlets missed two penalties, one which was almost straight in front of the posts. Keats knocked over our first opportunity, and soon after we had the lead. Keats started it, Griffin did brilliantly, and Nathan crossed the line for a lovely try. Keats kicked a lovely conversion to then make it 7-10 in our favour.
The Scarlets regained the lead, with what looked to be a soft try. Sean seemed to be brushed off from a tackle a bit too easily, and suddenly we were losing 14-10.
Another penalty  brought us to within 1 just before half time.


We took the lead shortly after half time, and were playing some excellent stuff I thought, but a stupid penalty conceeded gave Tovey of the Scarlets the chance to regain the lead, and he did. There were no more scores.
We had chances, Nikora attempted a drop goal which was blocked down with a few minutes left in the game. I thought we rushed the drop goal. We had good possession, and looked dangerous. A few more passages of play, while they may not have gained us any ground, would have eaten up the clock. We know Nikora can hit pressure drop goals, like the one against Bourgoin last season in the Amlin Cup. But fuck it, it wasn't to be.


I thought overall, we played well. That was the seventh (eight?) home game in a row for the Scarlets against Irish opposition, where they haven't been beaten. We pushed them right to end. It's just very frustrating to see it over and over again. We really do look like a team, who dont know how to win. I saw John Muldoons twitter after the game, and he summed it up nicely, by saying "I'm sick"


I know how you feel John. I think we all do.


A couple of other observations from the game. Keatley was very assured at full back. Carr had his best game in a while. By that I mean, he was actually involved. Griffin looks very good, considering his inexperience and age. Cronin can and must play better.Handling was poor. Ah You isn't ready yet.
That's really it for now. I'll throw this blog out there, and see if I get much feedback. Feel free to send me feedback, tell me what you'd like to see here, and how I can improve.


I know people in places, so if this thing takes off, I'll try to get a few interviews with some players, but that's a long way off.
I need sleep. Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment